Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I cringe whenever I hear Japanese being spoken on 过好年. It just sounds so... un-Japanese. If I'm Japanese, I'll definitely speak to my parents in my native tongue even if my entire family is multilingual. I think the guy acting as 野口成り康 needs to brush up on his acting chops. He is entirely unconvincing as a Japanese. And I'm not expecting perfect pronunciation by him but the least he could do is to try and recite his lines well enough so that it doesn't come out in bits and pieces when he speaks. A commendable performance is probably by Pan Lingling. She may have fewer Japanese lines than Remus but the aura she exudes and the fluency in which she recites her lines just makes her a little more convincing.

Somehow I feel that the show is trying too hard to fit in those Japanese lines such that you can hear the characters speaking in a mixture of Japanese and Chinese in a single conversation. It all sounds a little forced and fake. I don't think viewers will mind if the "Japanese" were to speak in Mandarin. I know I won't and I'ld most definitely prefer it that way. I'ld probably speak to my family and friends in both English and Mandarin in a single conversation, but then again, this is Singapore and I'm a Singaporean. Well well well... The reason I'm still watching the show is probably because I need some entertainment and some time away from the already becoming stressful school life despite it only being the 3rd week of school...

On another note, I think MTV's JK Hits should probably be renamed Korean Hits considering as how I could only hear Korean songs during the half hour I watched just now. I know Kpop's the buzz almost everywhere now but since it's called JK Hits, I was expecting to hear at least one Japanese song! No, perhaps I should rephrase that sentence. I was expecting to see at least one Japanese artiste on the show since I do not consider Big Bang's Gara Gara as Jpop. There's a very distinctive difference between Korean and Japanese music as I'm sure everyone who listens to either one or both will know. Or perhaps it's because the Japanese songs I listen to just happen to be very different from the Korean songs that are heard everywhere, which have a techno feel to them and can easily be played on the dance floor.

Yep yep.. And we just got suan-ed, or perhaps I should say reprimanded, by our Jap teacher last Friday. He said sth like: "You three are clever. You understand the grammar the first time I say them but when it comes to vocab... Pls pls pls study at home. You have to start studying NOW to prepare for JLPT." At least that's the gist of what he said from the string of Jap that he spewed out at one go haha.. And... here's my reply to him: (the reply I formed in my head at least)
私も勉強したい。でも時間がない!すみませんでした。私たちは頑張ります!
Hmmm... I wonder if I should continue with the lessons when my second session of 12 lessons end in a few weeks time or rest for a little while before continuing... The fees are not cheap and like what he said, if we do not study at home but only revise once a week whenever we go for lessons, I think we'll take forever to learn. On the other hand, the lessons at the end of each week is something for me to look forward to. I recall staying at home on Hari Raya last year in November which happened to fall on a Friday and feeling all weird because I was watching the Friday variety shows which I usually missed (yep I should be studying then but somehow I wasn't, which somehow defeats the purpose of staying at home).

I'm starting to play catching with my sleep now. I need to catch up to it but many other factors are hindering me from doing so. And I think typing this can be considered one of the unnecessary hindrances I create for myself haha.

No comments: