Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Motivational Post

IS IT RIGHT OR JUST SAFE?

Some are good at basketball.

Some are good at poker, or needlepoint, or driving me crazy.

But we’re all great at storytelling.

We tell ourselves why it’s okay to stay in a job we hate. We tell ourselves why it’s okay to tuck away our great idea for another month. We tell ourselves it’s okay to stick right where we are, where it’s safe, sound, and secure.

We’re good at it, but we’re often wrong. It’s not always safe to do the “safe” thing–because that safe thing will eat away years of your life. It will keep things from changing, advancing. It will keep you precisely where you are.

Is that precisely where you want to be?

2 comments:

lzl said...

Ehh what a thought-provoking post. I agree with you that if we don't take risks, we would just remain as who we are. It is often through this kind of difficult situation that allow us to grow as an individual, and also help us to see a brand new side of ourselves that we won't be able to see if we keep playing it safe!

However, I am the typical kind of safe person. I like to play it safe because I know what outcome to expect, so that I won't have to handle unforeseen circumstances that will make my life difficult. Ya I always have this mentality 'why make life difficult for yourself?' and that's why I haven't been able to break away from my own comfort zone.

Haix it's easier to say 'I want to change! I want to do this, I want to do that!', but sometimes I find it hard to take the first step because I am afraid. Afraid of what will happen. Afraid of making mistakes. Afraid of being laughed at because of what I have chosen. I always have a lot of fears and considerations before embarking on a decision. But if we don't try, we would never know!

I came across this quote before that says 'to play it safe is not to play at all'. How true!

KLiMin said...

haha yeah we must learn to make a decision and stick to it! Never be afraid of listening to your true feelings and acting according to it!

This is from a motivational blog btw. Clicking on the title links you to the blog.